Ok, I know, another trip? I wasn't really expecting to take this one so early, but Corinne and Nathan have a timeshare in Kauai and this was the week (the last week in January) they were able to get it reserved. And we found really cheap tickets to fly there and my vacation resets in January. Plus, I need to keep up on my tan....by the way, where should I go next?
We spent 7 days in Lihue on the island of Kauai. It was nice to stay in a place that had a full kitchen, so we didn't have to spend lots of money eating out (food is expensive there). We cooked (and by we, I mean Nathan) all our dinners, it was so convenient. We did eat out for lunch each day, since we were out doing activities each day. And we went to Duke's one night for dessert and had their mud pie. Totally worth going to Hawaii just to have this mud pie, they make it with vanilla ice cream, macadamia nuts, chocolate sauce and chocolate crumb crust. So good. I ate a full one by myself and Corinne and Nathan didn't even finish their's.
One weird thing about this island is the abundance of "free-range" chickens and roosters. They are everywhere, I thought it was funny when I saw this one at the first place we ate, but then I saw how many more there were everywhere on the island, so it wasn't as much fun anymore. At least the roosters didn't wake me up in the morning.
We spent part of the first day looking at some waterfalls. There's a couple that you can drive to and since we had a pt cruiser to get around in, we were all about driving around. That was actually the most annoying part about the trip, I tried changing the car, but they didn't have anything else available and I didn't want to spend more money. They were even saying it was an upgrade, but I'm sorry, those cars are really awful. Anyway, here are those waterfalls.



One of the funnest things we did was an ATV tour at Kipu Ranch. I know, it sounds like it could be a little cheezy, especially if you see their ads in the brochures, but it wasn't at all. We each had our own 4-wheeler and there were 6 other people on the tour with us. They gave us all a refresher course on driving the 4-wheelers before we headed out, they are pretty simple to operate, since they were one-speed. I hadn't been on one since I did something like this in Aruba. We looked pretty awesome with our goggles and helmets.
This mountain, Mt. Waiʻaleʻale, is supposedly the wettest spot on earth and gets over 400" of rain a year, but I haven't confirmed this. While we were on our tour, it was actually visible, we didn't see it during the remainder of the trip, since it was covered in clouds.
So, you might recognize this spot, watch Jurassic Park, it's in the scene where the guy and the two kids run away from the dinasours and hide behind the log. A lot of movies are filmed on this ranch. It's over 4000 acres and beautiful, so a great place to film things. 

We spent part of the first day looking at some waterfalls. There's a couple that you can drive to and since we had a pt cruiser to get around in, we were all about driving around. That was actually the most annoying part about the trip, I tried changing the car, but they didn't have anything else available and I didn't want to spend more money. They were even saying it was an upgrade, but I'm sorry, those cars are really awful. Anyway, here are those waterfalls.



One of the funnest things we did was an ATV tour at Kipu Ranch. I know, it sounds like it could be a little cheezy, especially if you see their ads in the brochures, but it wasn't at all. We each had our own 4-wheeler and there were 6 other people on the tour with us. They gave us all a refresher course on driving the 4-wheelers before we headed out, they are pretty simple to operate, since they were one-speed. I hadn't been on one since I did something like this in Aruba. We looked pretty awesome with our goggles and helmets.
This mountain, Mt. Waiʻaleʻale, is supposedly the wettest spot on earth and gets over 400" of rain a year, but I haven't confirmed this. While we were on our tour, it was actually visible, we didn't see it during the remainder of the trip, since it was covered in clouds.
So, you might recognize this spot, watch Jurassic Park, it's in the scene where the guy and the two kids run away from the dinasours and hide behind the log. A lot of movies are filmed on this ranch. It's over 4000 acres and beautiful, so a great place to film things. 
I thought this place was really neat. Part of Raiders of the Lost Arc was filmed here. This spot is specifically from the scene where Indiana Jones has been running away from the natives, at the beginning of the movie, and his friend is waiting for him in the float plane. He swings out into the water to get to the plane. This isn't the original rope swing, but I went on it, not in the water because it was too cold. Corinne and Nathan braved it. I know, I'm a wimp.
Another waterfall where we stopped for lunch.
The trails we went on were very muddy and had lots of huge puddles. And some parts were really steep, so it was kind of scary, but fun at the same time. And I was able to stay a little clean by lifting my legs when I drove through some of the huge puddles. I tried taking a picture of all our arms, but you can see from Nathan's shirt how muddy we were. I think he was the muddiest, he was trying to get muddy, though and I was trying to avoid puddles.
Another thing this island has a lot of is wild pigs, just like in Lost, interesting, huh? (Although Lost is filmed in Oahu.) They can hunt the pigs, but not on the ranch, we saw a lot out here.
This waterfall was the last part of the tour and I thought this was going to be a nice place to swim, but the water was so muddy. Only Corinne was brave enough to get in. 

No comments:
Post a Comment