5.12.2008

mother's day

I saw a lot of my family on Saturday while we were celebrating mother's day/Paul's b-day. We had a big picnic at mom and dad's and all got to hang out. We even played a little pictionary by using dry-erase markers on a window in the living room, it was a really good idea hatched by Leslie, I think. It was a little too cold to stay outside. I'm glad I have a mom like mine. I know me and my 11 brothers and sisters love my mom a lot. Thanks for all you do mom! And then for my own mother's day gift to me, I ran the Kirkland half-marathon (13.1 miles) Sunday morning. I had a sore throat and kind of thought I shouldn't go out and run it, but I'm glad I did. I even beat my last half by a couple of minutes. My final time was 1:54:05. Yay, Ann! I was lucky to have Leslie come cheer me on at the finish line. She got up early on her mother's day, just for me. Thanks Leslie.
The other thing that made my weekend so wonderful this year was going to a birth-mother's day brunch with a bunch of other birth moms and a couple of women that have adopted in the past. It was like having group all over again. I miss that environment. I loved hearing everyone's story and then being able to share mine. I feel so lucky to have the relationship I have with Savannah and her family. There really aren't too many other people that get that opportunity. I think the funniest thing about hearing everyone's story was that a lot of the women there have found out the name of the family that adopted their child (most of the adoptions were closed with pictures and letters only). I did it, too, before everything was open between Savannah's family. I just think it's sad and disappointing that there are so many people that think that birth mothers are crazy and would go steal back their child if they were able to have an open relationship. I'm glad that I at least get to have a friendship with Savannah since I wasn't able to be her mom. I guess the reason I'm writing about all this is so if you think I'm not a crazy birth mom and you know people that have adopted, then you need to let those adoptive parents know that a lot of birth moms want to know what is going on with their children and might like to have a more open relationship.
Anyway, enough of that, I didn't want to make this so personal, but I feel really strongly about adoptions and feel that people assume too many negative things about birth mothers, if they want to still be part of the child's life. Stay tuned...I'm heading to Alabama tomorrow, there has to be some good stories from there.

3 comments:

leslie coppin said...

Hey, no prob. It ended up being a very fulfilling thing to do...watch you run and not me :)
No for serious. I'm still so proud of you.
and my hair doesn't look that bad in the picture considering I barely brushed it as I walked out the door.

Jane Says said...

I still can't believe you ran 13 miles! I would have passed out by the end of the 1st mile! oi!

Sean said...

You're an awesome Mother, Ann!